Thursday, August 12, 2010

Our School Room

When we first looked at this house, I was so excited to see this perfect school room. The second time I looked at it I realized it wasn't as perfect as I remembered because the angles wouldn't allow me to put all of our bookshelves in it. So I had to adjust my plans a little giving up part of the room to toys and putting bookshelves in the room I had thought about using for toy storage. Now that we're in, I think I actually like having the bookshelves in a separate room.

I'm just now starting to work on the decorating part. We just moved here in April so up to now most of my time has been spent unpacking and organizing. I really want to get some more color in the room. I'd love to paint the walls, but that will have to wait until I get more time.

Here is the room as you come in the door.
Photobucket

This is on the right side as you enter the room. My hubby made us this table. We use the shelves under it for pencils, pens, markers, crayons, etc. Some of our craft supplies are under the sink.
Photobucket

These shelves next to the table are where we keep things we use most of the time. Each of us has our own shelf for our books. There are also shelves for science, history, unit study, and library books. There are 2 crates next to it. The bottom one has folders to keep lapbook pieces and worksheets once I've printed them. I'm going to put some fun stuff in the top box to keep Molly busy when she finishes her school work and has to wait on the other two.
Photobucket


We use the couch for read alouds. I rotate books on these rain gutter shelves so the kids have easier access to them than when they're on our regular shelves. I plan to let the kids hang their artwork on the link chain above the window. I'm planning to start a timeline on the wall above the fish tank.
Photobucket

Close up of the rain gutter shelves.
Photobucket

The area next to the couch is empty because I'm saving it for a desk and computer I plan to get for the kids soon. I'm gathering letters to make an alphabet wall on the other blank wall. The cork board has a schedule on it and will display things we're working on. The thing on the bottom is a chore chart that I'm still working on.
Photobucket


This is a small play area. We have more toys stored in a walk in closet right outside of this room. There is another place to display their artwork. The frames have postcards of famous paintings in them.
Photobucket

This is what the room looks like when standing at the couch.
Photobucket

If you noticed the double doors behind the easel, that is the room where we store the rest of our school supplies.
Photobucket

There is a shelf to store games and the other shelves are all divided into subjects.
Photobucket

This is the opposite side. The white drawers have math manipulatives, more craft stuff, science and history stuff, and puzzle books. The shelf to the right of them has all different types of paper and file folder games on top. The shelf in the corner holds puzzles.
Photobucket

We also have a loveseat in the loft area right outside of our school room to use when someone wants some quiet reading time alone.

I am so happy to have this space for our school!

Check out the blog hop to see more school rooms.
Not Back to School Blog Hop

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! WOW!!! And, WOW again! That is so perfect and absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the room, the angled ceilings, and the table hubby made is so custom to your needs. Beautiful! I would never leave the room if I were you. Have a great school year!

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

This is absolutely WONDERFUL!!! WOW! If this were a contest - your space would win! It must be so dreamy to have all that space for homeschooling - know how blessed you are!

Lena said...

Dream school room! Have fun decorating and have a blessed school year.
Pax - lena

angela @ kinderdays said...

speechless...space...
i love it!
congrats on your new move...

Angela
www.dailythoughtsonmytots.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Sarah, can I just say, wow! Your room looks awesome!! I'm so impressed!

Tammany said...

Nice BIG room, what a great space!
You're husband did a great job on that table and I love the gutter bookshelves :)
Cute clock make over and I can't wait to start on my very own I've visited map. Lots of great ideas you have here.
Thanks for stoping by my blog...
I got the idea for the poster center holder right here on yahoo workboxes...it should be in the archives.
Have a great year!
Blessings Tammany

Kathie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! And I have to agree with the previous posts...WOW indeed! You have an absolute wonderful space! Many blessings to you this new school year!

Kathie

Courtney said...

What a wonderful, roomy space for learning! I especially love that awesome custom table and the gutter bookshelves... what a cute idea. Thanks for stopping by my blog ~ hope you have a blessed school year! :-)

Anna P said...

What a HUGE wonderful space! Love the table and rain gutter shelves, thanks for sharing!

Misty aka Elvisgirl said...

Awesome room and closet! I love your ideas for hanging artwork. The rain gutter shelves are so cool. I wanted to do that in my kids rooms when they were younger, but I never got around to it. Now they have so many books, I just had to get them their own shelves. Loved visiting your classroom!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with everyone and say WOW! What a fabulous school room!

I love absolutely everything about your room.

kewkew said...

Wow (I know I am echoing everyone else) what an amazing room and store room. So much space. Such great organization and plans. Love the rain gutter book shelves. I'm assuming you read Jim Treleases' Read Aloud Handbook. Did you?

Jen Susan said...

I'm new to your blog but just wanted to let you know what a great homeschooler you are! Keep up the good work!

Kathie said...

Wow...this is a dream room and closet. Thanks for posting--it's beautiful and your DH did a wonderful job on that table!

schmobes said...

I wish I had half that much space for a school room! Everything is so organized! It is beautiful.

Carrie said...

Wow! What a great space! Beautiful! :)

Unknown said...

Um, AWESOME! How fortunate you and the kids are to have such a fabulous place to learn in!

Jessy

Casey said...

I agree with everyone else, you are blessed to have such a wonderful space. And your husband did a great job on the table, I love the shelves on each corner!

Rachel said...

Saw your room on pinterest and loved it! How did your husband make the table? It looks exactly like what I've been wanting to make myself but don't know how.

Sarah said...

Rachel, the table was actually pretty easy. It's also been moved 3 times since these pictures and has held up well since it's easy to take apart.
The legs are individual stackable cube shelves from Walmart (one for each corner and 2 in the middle). He cut 4" off the bottom of each one. The top is called MDF board (3/4" thick) and came from Home Depot. He cut the edges of the top so they are angled and then screwed the top to the "legs".
Hope that helps.