Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

Earlier this month, we drove to Maine. On the way home we stopped in New York City for a couple of days. None of us had ever been there so it was exciting for us all. We spent one day visiting the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.


Photobucket

Photobucket
On the ferry

Photobucket

Photobucket


We were able to go inside to tour the museum.


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket



Ellis Island

Chad and I could have spent a lot more time seeing everything here. The girls are a little young to be really interested and Colin was too worried about getting to the Statue of Liberty. In the Immigration Museum, you go through different rooms that show some of what the immigrants would have experienced.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket
Here we were able to participate in a demonstration of a hearing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Molly saw people with these hats and just had to have one. Here are the kids with their hats on the way home.


Photobucket
Molly also got her new doll a Statue of Liberty outfit from Build a Bear.

Photobucket
 

Photobucket
Caleigh with her doll. It has cute shoes to match the shirt too.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT field trip! I haven't brought my kids yet. (We driven THROUGH NYC without stopping on our way to DC.) You visited my state: Maine!

Sarah said...

We were in the Portland area. It was our first visit to Maine and we loved it.

Crisc said...

I was just there in July now I want to take the kids back. Great pics =)

Malea said...

We moved to New York a year ago from California. Although I've been to the Statue of Liberty (many years ago), I got sick on the ferry and skipped the Ellis Island tour. Sigh...I look forward to taking my son to both this year. My great grandmother and her entire family came through Ellis Island.

Here from the Hip Homeschool Mom's hop.

Theresa said...

Sounds like a great trip!

We live in NJ, not far from the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. My grandmother came through Ellis Island in 1920 and was interviewed by the foundation. My great grandmother came through a few years before that and her sponsor didn't show up and she was almost deported.

Kara Chupp said...

What an incredible trip! I would love to take our family to visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty...so so so much history...
Great photos too!
Thanks for sharing...
~Kara @ The Chuppies/NOBH

The Adventurer said...

Thanks for sharing on the Field trip HOP> I have been to NY several times but have never made it to Ellis Island. Looks like fun and when we return to the states I will take the kids:)